Shitake Swiss Beef Stuffed Squash
Supplied by Kickshaws Kitchen, original recipe from www.wholesomeyum.com
- 3 large Summer Squash (yellow squash, magda squash, and/or zucchini)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 large Sweet Onion, chopped
- 4oz Shiitake Mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1lb ground Beef
- 3/4tsp Sea Salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/2tsp Black Pepper
- 2Tbsp Sour Ceram
- 3/4cup Swiss Cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Slice the squash lenth-wise. Use a melon baller or small spoon to partially hollow out the seedy center of each squash half.
- Arrange the squash on the lined baking sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Bake 15-20 minutes, until almost fully softened.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and slightly browned. Add shiitake mushrooms and garlic. Saute 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned and reduced in size.
- Turn the heat up to medium high. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Saute 7-8 minutes, breaking up the pieces with a spatula or spoon, until the beef is browned and the onions are caramelized.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and half o the shredded Swiss cheese. Spoon the filling into the squash halves.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the squash is cooked through and the filling is bubbly. Turn the oven to broil. Sprinkle the remaining shredded Swiss cheese evenly on top of the squash boats. Broil 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned.
Kickshaws Kitchen provides our 2017 CSA Season members with a weekly recipe which utilizes most of the vegetables featured in our harvest for that week. Additional ingredients may be purchased at Kickshaws Kitchen at 101 William St. in Downtown Fredericksburg.